R&A Women in Golf Charter
A commitment to a more inclusive culture within golf
We, Pleasington Golf Club, call on everyone involved in golf to play their part in developing a culture that values women’s involvement in every aspect of the sport, from participating to pursuing a career.
Our aim is to increase the number of women and girls playing and working in golf.
To achieve this goal and to enable women to flourish throughout golf, we recognise the need for a fundamental shift in culture.
There is a clear ethical need for change and the potential economic benefits of growing the sport through more women and girls playing are substantial.
The R&A commits to playing a leading role in this process and to working with affiliates, partners and the wider golf industry towards achieving this goal.
In signing this Charter, we Pleasington Golf Club commit to making tangible efforts to develop a welcoming and inspiring environment for women. We will do more to attract women into golf, to remain, and to have rewarding careers.
- Is a statement of intent from the golf industry and Pleasington Golf Club, to unite and to focus gender balance at all levels
- Commits us all to supporting measures to increase the number of women, girls and families playing golf
- Calls for positive action to encourage women to pursue careers in all areas of the sport
- Recognises the need for change that creates an inclusive environment within golf and our golf club
Signatories commit to activate this Charter by:
- Developing and implementing an internal strategy for enhancing gender balance at every level
- Establishing senior management responsibility and accountability for gender balance and inclusion, which is discussed and reviewed at committee/board level with Pleasington Golf Club
- Strongly advocating more women and girls playing and working in golf
- Working with key stakeholders to develop and embed a more inclusive culture
- Promoting the Charter and our goal of encouraging more women and girls to play golf and work in golf
How we at Pleasington Golf Club will achieve this:
- The club will continue to have strong female representation on the Board of Directors and all Management Committees. We are totally committed to an open meritocracy for all positions within the club.
- Remove gender specific membership categories.
- Tee times to be available on a Saturday to female members who choose to become 7 Day members.
- Formally promote inclusion to the wider community via the club website, social media accounts and local community groups.
- Promote a membership pathway, for women to progress within the club by offering provisions through Women’s Get into Golf. This would be managed by the Female Development Group.
- Have a designated champion/mentor within the club who can assist and support new participants & members.
These objectives will be embedded into the club business plan and reviewed on an annual basis, to ensure that this inclusive commitment remains robust.
Signed on Behalf of Pleasington Golf Club:
Pleasington Golf Club Management Board
Charter Champions: Jacqui Banister & Andrew Buxton